Monday, June 6, 2016

Night by Elie Wisel


Title: Night
Author: Elie Wiesel
Pages: 115
Publisher: Hill and Wang
Release Date: January 16th 2006
Rating 4.28 Stars
Add to Goodreads
Synopsis: "Night is a work by Elie Wiesel about his experience with his father in the Nazi German concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald in 1944–1945, at the height of the Holocaust and toward the end of the Second World War. In just over 100 pages of sparse and fragmented narrative, Wiesel writes about the death of God and his own increasing disgust with humanity, reflected in the inversion of the father–child relationship as his father declines to a helpless state and Wiesel becomes his resentful teenage caregiver.

Penetrating and powerful, as personal as The Diary Of Anne Frank, Night awakens the shocking memory of evil at its absolute and carries with it the unforgettable message that this horror must never be allowed to happen again"




  I didn't think I was going to enjoy reading Night. Most require school reading doesn't really work for me, I always struggle reading these kind of books. However, reading Night I was surprised on how much how I enjoyed it. It could because it was a memoir and I love reading memoirs. Or it could be the fact that the writing was really beautifully done. I have so much to discuss about this book and the way it made me feel.

 In a person's life, I believe there is always going to be a certain books that really hit you. That make you feel, think, and understand things. This book is one of those books. Just reading the description on the back of the book it's really hard to understand that something this horrific actually happened. That person's solution to solving one's problem is eliminating the inferior people. It makes me feel disgusted at mankind because they acted like they had no humanity. I don't want to say that it's sad because its beyond the point of the being sad.

 I mention this before, but his writing was really beautifully done. As I was reading this I had to literally remind myself that this actually happened to so many different people. I felt like we got a look on the inside where in the Diary of Anne Frank, it was more hopeful and happy. We never got to see how her life was in the concentration camp. I think it's very important for us to have a look from the inside and the outside. Everything flows together perfectly and we are getting a first hand encounter. That being said this is just Elie's story everyone went through some different.

 I have one scene burnt into my memory, it sticks out more than any other scene in the book. Elie and his family just arrived at the concentration camp. His little sister was wearing a red coat. When they got there they separated the males from the females, elderly, and young children. Eventually they got into lines and he saw his little sister with her red coat walk away from them forever. I assume that they ended up in the crematorium that day. Just thinking about him watching half of his family walk to their deaths is forever lodge into my mind.

  I highly recommend this book. I gave it four out of five stars. I feel like everyone should read this book. They need to understand the Holocaust, so we can prevent something like this from happening again. If you have read this book, please let me know your thoughts on it? If you have read any other WW2 book let me know so I can check it out. Remember keep searching for your Once Upon A Time.


No comments:

Post a Comment