Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Title: The Well of AscensionAuthor: Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 796
Publication Date: 06-03-2008
Publisher: TOR Fantasy
Add to Goodreads
Synopsis: "They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge."





I just got done reading this hunk of a book two hours ago from the time I'm writing this review, so around 3:00 PM EST and I'm honestly blown away by this book and this world all over again. Sanderson already created this amazing magical system and political system in the first book, Mistborn, this time around the world developed even more. We got to see different views from some of the characters touched in the first book, Sazed, Breeze, and Elend, most specifically. More information was provided about the Keepers and the Kandra. Introductions were made for various things. This is honestly a great sequel, you should check out my review for the first book, the rest of this review will have spoilerish details continue reading it at your own risk.

The romance between Elend and Vin took forever to get to and that's due to how Vin was raised. It happened at the ending of the book. I was so happy when my prediction came true of Elend becoming a mistborn at the end it made me so happy because Elend and Vin actually have a better chance of lasting as a married coupled. There for a big chunk of the book I  was hopping Zane and Vin would end up together, but Elend won in the end and I'm so happy about it. To be honest Zane was crazy really crazy. We got to see the old crew back in action the only missing was Kelsier of course, but that was okay. I'm still thinking he will jump out of no where to rescue them.

I said this in my review for the first book, but it is worth repeating again. Sanderson writes with such detail that it's incredibly amazing. It forces us readers to pay attention because everything is so important because nothing is as it seems in this world. He throws twists at you a lot and keeps us on our toes. I think the best part of the book was in depth world of politics in this book. They are trying to build a new kingdom and make it a better place after the Lord Ruler's reign and its fantastic because we see the struggles of building this new nation. I thought some of the merchants believed that it was going to be really easy and they were wrong.  Again this book had another war in it and lots of deaths and two out from the crew which makes me really sad.

My hopes for the next book that Elend and Vin don't die and continue to build the nation the way it should be. I'm quite excited to see Elend develop as a mistborn to see how everything goes. I'm getting this feeling that this is the end and I'm not going to see anymore of these characters. The other books in this series is based off different characters in a different period, which would be really nice to see Elend's vision after so many years of it starting.

Overall, this is a five star read and I highly recommend it. Many people who see a Sanderson's books get frightened because of the length, but honestly its fantastic and you should try. Have you read this book or the next book, The Hero of Ages? Have you guys read any other Sanderson's books? What are you currently reading? Remember keep looking for your Once Upon A Time.


No comments:

Post a Comment