Monday, July 18, 2016

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Title: Mistborn
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 643
Publisher: Tor Fantasy
Publication Date: 07-31-2007
Add to Goodreads
Synopsis: "Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangled the land.

He failed.

For a thousand years since, the world has been a wasteland of ash and mist ruled by the immortal emperor known as the Lord Ruler. Every revolt has failed miserably.

Yet somehow, hope survives. Hope that dares to dream of ending the empire and even the Lord Ruler himself. A new kind of uprising is being planned, one built around the ultimate caper, one that depends on the cunning of a brilliant criminal mastermind and the determination of an unlikely heroine, a street urchin who must learn to master Allomancy, the power of a Mistborn."




For about a solid year I been hearing a lot about Brandon Sanderson and how he writes amazing fantasy books. I didn't have the opportunity to read any of his books until I started going to the library again after so long and I knew I had to get my hands on some Brandon Sanderson and the first book I picked up was Mistborn and I'm so glad that I did. I personally couldn't pick out one thing that was wrong for me and that is rare even in a five star read I sometimes find something that I would want to change, but this is just wow book.

The world building and character development were the best I have seen in awhile. The whole world of Mistborn is fantastic and I think my favorite part of this world is magic system. There's Mistborn and Mistings and both of them use Allomancy which is a magic that uses metals. Each of the metals do something different and is heavily based on the weight of the person because every reaction will have an equal reaction to maintain homeostasis. Mistborns can control all 10 metals and mistings have more of a special area. To add on to it we have the political and social standings of people  that are one of a kind. Sanderson has created this fantasy world that is super believable. 

Next major part is the character development of all the the characters. Vin is the one of the main characters and she started off with these teachings that her brother taught her. Let's just say they weren't the best teachings, anyways throughout the book you see her stray away from these teachings and become a better person. Her main goal was to get away from this crew she was in and she did, but also feel her main goal shifted as she developed into a better version of herself. Then we have Kelsier who is another main character and I absolutely loved his character. I have no clue what else to say about him because he was the best. You just have to read it to find out about him. There's more characters on this new crew that she joined and all of them were really good characters.

Vin starts off with this thieving crew of normal Skaa all of them are horrible people and they treat her just as bad. She eventually joins Kelsier's crew and their main objection is to take down the Lord Ruler. There's tons of action in this book and I love how everything goes into so much detail because we get to see how everyone feels about certain things. One of my favorite scenes was a scene where they were discussing the game plan and we got to see it in great detail. The best way I can describe it is that I felt like I was in the room with them. There really wasn't any romance until the end of the book which was nice, but the romance between Vin and Elend was amazing. The ending of the book was fantastic and there was this one part that absolutely shocked me and I can't believe it actually happened.

I hope this convinces you to go check out the book and the author. This is a five star read and I highly recommend this if you want an epic fantasy book. Have you read this book if you did what are your thoughts on it? Do you recommend any other Sanderson books? Remember keep looking for your Once Upon A Time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment